[MMTK] netcdf on linux - undefined symbol: _fxstat

hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Thu Jul 15 14:42:06 CEST 2004

On 14.07.2004, at 15:38, Peter wrote:

> The Suse linux machine I'm trying to install MMTK already has Python
> 2.3 installed, and I'm trying to install Scientific Python 2.4.6 and
> MMTK 2.4.1 under my home directory.  This seems to have worked, except
> for netcdf:

Isn't there a precompiled netCDF on the SuSE CDs? There was for version
8.1 (which I am using), so I suppose it is also in yours, which must be
newer if it has Python 2.3.

> After a telling it not to build the Fortran interface (as the system's
> fortran compiler didn't like it!) I could build netcdf and confirmed
> that there was a compiled file created:
>
> ~/lib/python/Scientific/Linux2/Scientific_netcdf.so
>
> I assume this is the linux version of what on Windows would be:
>
> C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\Scientific\win32\Scientific_netcdf.pyd

It is.

> Trying "import Scientific.IO.NetCDF" gives this error:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> ImportError: ./Scientific_netcdf.so: undefined symbol: _fxstat
>
> My googling would appear to suggest _fxstat (or at least fxstat) is
> handled by a shared libc file...

Yes, it is part of the standard C library that every executable is
linked to. Python modules "inherit" this from the Python interpreter.
So is you find no other solution (I have no idea where this comes from,
or rather, lots of vague possibilities), you could try to build your
personal Python distribution in your home directory and then add NumPy,
ScientificPython, and MMTK.

-------
Konrad Hinsen
Laboratoire Leon Brillouin, CEA Saclay,