[MMTK] netcdf on linux - undefined symbol: _fxstat

Peter peter at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jul 14 15:38:45 CEST 2004

I think this is some sort of linux or gcc problem, but I'm a bit out of my depth here.

The Suse linux machine I'm trying to install MMTK already has Python 2.3 installed, and I'm trying to install Scientific Python 2.4.6 and MMTK 2.4.1 under my home directory.  This seems to have worked, except for netcdf:

After a telling it not to build the Fortran interface (as the system's fortran compiler didn't like it!) I could build netcdf and confirmed that there was a compiled file created:

~/lib/python/Scientific/Linux2/Scientific_netcdf.so

I assume this is the linux version of what on Windows would be:

C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\Scientific\win32\Scientific_netcdf.pyd

Trying "import Scientific.IO.NetCDF" gives this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: ./Scientific_netcdf.so: undefined symbol: _fxstat

My googling would appear to suggest _fxstat (or at least fxstat) is handled by a shared libc file...

Any suggestions?

Peter

P.S.
Incidently the tweak to MMTK.Trajectory change discussed in these emails (tested on Windows) stops a segmentation error and complains about NetCDF not being available instead:

http://starship.python.net/pipermail/mmtk/2004/000673.html
http://starship.python.net/pipermail/mmtk/2004/000658.html

--

Whatever you Wanadoo: