[MMTK] A rather annoying newbie question on the netCDF interface

Peter mmtk at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jul 14 02:35:07 CEST 2004

>> If anyone can help me with the following problem then it would be
>> much  appreciated.  I've been putting myself through the wringer
>> trying to  get the netCDF interface working in Scientific.  I've
>> installed the  following on windows...
>>
>> 1. Python 2.3.3 using Python-2.3.3.exe from python.org
>> 2. Scientific python using ScientificPython-2.4.6.win32-py2.3.exe
>> 3. netCDF for win32 - (\\python23\include\netcdf.h and netcdf.inc;
>> \\python23\libs\netcdf.lib; also netcdf.dll in PATH)
>
> That looks fine, from memory, perhaps some Windows user can confirm.
> Which version of netCDF do you use? It must be the same that was used
> when ScientificPython was compiled (I guess 3.5, which is the current
> one).

It was 3.5.0, see below.

> Otherwise, no idea, sorry. Windows is a mystery to me.

Have you looked at the Windows Installation instructions on the Wiki?

http://dirac.cnrs-orleans.fr/mmtk_wiki/WindowsInstallation

This should also explain other bits and pieces like Mark Hammond's
Windows Extensions and setting up visualisations:

I've been meaning to make the NetCDF installation bit more explicit.

Anyway, the ScientificPython-2.4.6.win32-py2.3.exe installer was built
using the prebuilt binary of netcdf-3.5.0 available here:

ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/win32/netcdf-3.5.0.win32bin.ZIP

If you are using the Scientific Python and MMTK installers, then I think
all you need to do for netCDF is download that file, and extract just
netcdf.dll into:

C:\Windows\System32\netcdf.dll

for Windows XP, or on Windows 2000 or NT:

C:\WinNT\System32\netcdf.dll

Did that help?

If not, then some additional information like what version of Windows
you are using, and if you have a C compiler, wouldn't hurt.

Peter

P.S.  In fact, anywhere on the path should work... I seem to have put it
next too Scientific_netcdf.pyd on my Windows 2000 machine:

C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\Scientific\win32\netcdf.dll

I was trying to find out what would go wrong if the DLL was in the wrong
place, see this also email:

  http://starship.python.net/pipermail/mmtk/2004/000673.html