[MMTK] Building MMTK_sparseev?

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Mon Jun 14 14:22:44 CEST 2004

On Jun 11, 2004, at 22:10, Ryan Gutenkunst wrote:

> I'm trying to use SparseMatrixNormalModes, and I get an error that
> there's no module name MMTK_sparseev. Neither grepping through the
> source tree or Googling has shown me how to build the required module.
>
> The documentation mentions the use of the ARPACK library. Do I need to
> install this separately? If I do, will the build script detect it and
> compile the sparse matrix support?

The sparse matrix normal package is an add-on package that must be
installed explicitly. It seems that the Python part of the package is
in the standard distribution and the C part is not available at all
since the current Web site was installed.

Since I haven't used this module for a long time, I haven't updated it
to the new build scheme (using Python distutils) yet. As it is, it can
only be compiled with Python 1.5 using "compile" followed by "install"
in the folder addons/MMTK_SparseModes. The file arpack_real_sym.c from
ARPACK is included.

I guess I should update this to distutils and put it on the server, but
I first have to check if redistribution of ARPACK files is allowed.

Laboratoire Léon Brillouin, CEA Saclay,
E-Mail: hinsen at llb.saclay.cea.fr