[MMTK] segmentation fault and netCDF module problem

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Thu May 27 11:41:18 CEST 2004

On May 24, 2004, at 15:30, Hua Wong wrote:

> I recently installed MMTK from source and I am trying the examples.
> I obtain error messages that are strangely as similar as those obtain
> by Siegfried Leung in this post:
>
> http://starship.python.net/pipermail/mmtk/2004/000623.html
>
> mostly when trying NormalModes > constrained_modes.py
> and when trying Trajectories > calpha_trajectory.py

If you get error messages about a missing netCDF module, then the most
probable cause is that Scientific Python did not find the netCDF
library when it was installed.

> and finally MMTK v2.4.1 (I had to tweak some of the .h files in order
> to build correctly, but nothing heavy, just some import path...);

I guess this means that you installed everything into a non-standard
location. If you install netCDF anywhere else than in /usr or
/usr/local (plus /sw for MacOSX), you have to tell the ScientificPython
installer where to look for it. The easiest way to do that is to set
the environment variable NETCDF_PREFIX to the directory where netCDF is
installed on your machine. The header files must be in
$NETCDF_PREFIX/include and the library files in $NETCDF_PREFIX/lib.

> Now, I am wondering if I made all the proper links to all the modules
> (I am not root), so, here are the lines I added to my .bashrc file :
>
> export
> PYTHONPATH=/home/pif/wong/Softwares/MMTK/lib/python2.2/site-packages:/
> home/pif/wong/Softwares/MMTK/lib/python2.2/site-packages/Numeric

You should not have to add any path inside the Python library path. It
is even recommended not to do so, as you create secondary names for
those modules. Python normally finds all its packages that have been
installed by the distutils mechanism.

Laboratoire Léon Brillouin, CEA Saclay,
E-Mail: hinsen at llb.saclay.cea.fr