[MMTK] Scientific python installation problems

Jon Turner Jonathan.Turner at lns.etat.lu
Fri Sep 19 11:19:19 CEST 2003

Hello all,

Firstly, I have looked through the list archives, and don't seem to have
come across an answer to this problem:

Firstly the machine is a 1.4 GHz Pentium running Mandrake Linux 9.1, and
with python 2.2.

Mandrake has installed  Python in /usr/lib/python2.2/ and of course the
site packages follow that in their subdirectory. netCDF is installed and
would seem to have gone in cleanly to the correct place (/usr/local/).

Now, on running the ScientificPython-2.4.3 setup.py script I run across
problems, initially it would appear that it is looking for python2.2
files in the wrong place, /usr/local/include rather than (usr/lib/) and
this causes the C compiler (gcc in this case) to fall over. At the
bottom of the email is an excerpt from the error printout. netCDF would
not appear to cause any problems as the setup.py script finds this
without any problem.

How do I tell the setup.py script where to look for the python
installation so that gcc doesn't fall over, and manages to find files
such as Python.h?

Thanks in advance for your help, and I hope that I have successfully
diagnosed the problem, I'm not a Linux expert!

Jon Turner
Psychoneuroimmunoloyg Researcher
LNS-DI
Luxembourg

>running build_ext
>building 'Scientific_netcdf' extension
>gcc -DNDEBUG -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -march=i586
>-mcpu=pentiumpro -fPIC -IInclude -I/usr/local/include
>-I/usr/include/python2.2 -c Src/Scientific_netcdf.c -o
>build/temp.linux-i686-2.2/Scientific_netcdf.o
>Src/Scientific_netcdf.c:12:20: Python.h: No such file or directory
>Src/Scientific_netcdf.c:13:33: Numeric/arrayobject.h: No such file or
>directory
>In file included from Src/Scientific_netcdf.c:17:
>Include/Scientific/netcdfmodule.h:20: parse error before
>"PyObject_HEAD"

<snip 24 pages of error messages>