[MMTK] Re: mmtk Digest, Vol 5, Issue 3

Ivan Rossi ivan at biocomp.unibo.it
Wed Sep 17 13:09:55 CEST 2003

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 mmtk-request at python.net wrote:

> I don't even have a VRML browser installed any more, as none
> that I know for Linux are sufficiently stable and fast. In the good old days,
> I used VRweb, but that doesn't compile any more with recent  C++ compilers.

Try vrwave, it is the evolution of vrweb. (requires java)

I use lookat from the openvrml suite. not user-friendly and undocumented,
but reasonably fast.

> > windows, the majority of the free VRML viewers I've found work with VRML
> > version 2.0 only, and refuse to display VRML 1.0. This is only a minor
>
> I was under the impression that any VRML browser would accept 1.0 as well.

No. all those that i tried do not

> What is the general opinion of MMTK users on this? Should I make VRML2 the
> default?

most definitely.

Dr. Ivan Rossi - ivan at biodec.com, i.rossi at computer.org
BioDec srl, Via Fanin 48, I-40127 Bologna (Italy)
Phone: +39-051-4200321 - fax: +39-051-4200317 - web: www.biodec.com