[MMTK] Re: MMTK Windows Problems

John Michelsen jmichelz at mail.com
Fri Jun 20 12:41:54 EDT 2003

> There is a also a little confusion why the visualization examples don't
> work.
>
> C:\MMTK22\Examples\Visualization>python additional_objects.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "additional_objects.py", line 38, in ?
>     scene.view()
>   File "C:\Python22\Lib\site-packages\Scientific\Visualization\VRML.py",
> line 149, in view
>     import win32api
> ImportError: No module named win32api
>
> I have valued of course the environment variable PDBVIEWER
> the file name of the executable, and must give "vmd"  after stripping off an
> optional directory specification and iinstalled VMD.

The win32api thing was probably from me, try installing win32all from Mark Hammond.
This is a wrapper library that lets you access a lot of windows specific stuff from python.
http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/Downloads.html
(Konrad, maybe you could put a note to that effect on the website for other windows users.)

> I am wondering if it is possible the MMTK developers could concern for the
> increasing interest of MMTK in Windows and could give more detailed and
> carefull instructions of installing in Windows this utility.
> There is a lot of mess with issues where to put Scientific, NetCDF,
> which compiler, which update and version etc..
> Eg when I need to install Numerics in Python I just have
> to install the respective .exe and there is not such complications and
> prerequisites.

This is something I might look at when I get some free time in a month or so.
Should I set up a paypal link somewhere to let people know I could be persuaded by tips? =)

Cheers,
John