[MMTK] MMTK Windows Problems

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Fri Jun 20 16:23:37 EDT 2003

> the Dynamics.py module crash. It looks like MMTK can't run MD in Windows
> but at least you can build a biomolecule!

Is it dynamics or also energy evaluation? Can you do something like

   print universe.energy()

without a crash?

> There is a also a little confusion why the visualization examples don't
> work.
>
> C:\MMTK22\Examples\Visualization>python additional_objects.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "additional_objects.py", line 38, in ?
>     scene.view()
>   File "C:\Python22\Lib\site-packages\Scientific\Visualization\VRML.py",
> line 149, in view
>     import win32api
> ImportError: No module named win32api

That code was submitted by a Windows user who, if I remember correctly, used
the Microsoft C compiler. Perhaps the win32api module is not available with
MinGW or Cygwin, but I am just guessing. Any Python developer familiar with
Windows should be able to answer that question, so perhaps another mailing
list might yield more answers.

In a Cygwin environment, one would probably best use the Unix code everywhere.
But I don't know how to distinguish between Cygwin and standard Windows at
runtime. For your own copy, try changing all the lines that compare
"sys.platform" with  "win32" in some way that makes the test outcome change.

> I am wondering if it is possible the MMTK developers could concern for the
> increasing interest of MMTK in Windows and could give more detailed and
> carefull instructions of installing in Windows this utility.

There is a very simple problem: I do not have a Windows machine, much less a
development environment, nor any Windows development experience. All Windows
installation information and special code was contributed by others. I will
of course continue to accept such contributions happily, but I cannot really
help with problems.

> Eg when I need to install Numerics in Python I just have
> to install the respective .exe and there is not such complications and
> prerequisites.

The Numeric team includes some Windows developers. I am sure the same level of
convenience can be reached with MMTK, but I cannot do it.

Konrad Hinsen                            | E-Mail: hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr