[MMTK] MMTK Windows Problems

Konstantinos Makrodimitris kmakr7 at msn.com
Fri Jun 20 14:04:34 EDT 2003

Hi,

The installation of MMTK in Windows XP Professional
using the latest versions of Python, Numeric, Scientific
and as a compiler MinGW32 with netcdf-3.5.0 seems to have enough problems
for me also.
In the past I found also that trying with MS Visual Studio compiler
to install MMTK in Windows 2000 couldn't reach in a stable installation
or at least there is not a formula to go.
I've tried also with GYGWIN utility and the same gcc compiler
(but a little more sophisticated environment)
instead of MinGW32-MSYS minimalist utilities.
However the problem remains as the most examples which contain
the Dynamics.py module crash. It looks like MMTK can't run MD in Windows
but at least you can build a biomolecule!
There is a also a little confusion why the visualization examples don't
work.

C:\MMTK22\Examples\Visualization>python additional_objects.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "additional_objects.py", line 38, in ?
    scene.view()
  File "C:\Python22\Lib\site-packages\Scientific\Visualization\VRML.py",
line 149, in view
    import win32api
ImportError: No module named win32api

I have valued of course the environment variable PDBVIEWER
the file name of the executable, and must give "vmd"  after stripping off an
optional directory specification and iinstalled VMD.

I am wondering if it is possible the MMTK developers could concern for the
increasing interest of MMTK in Windows and could give more detailed and
carefull instructions of installing in Windows this utility.
There is a lot of mess with issues where to put Scientific, NetCDF,
which compiler, which update and version etc..
Eg when I need to install Numerics in Python I just have
to install the respective .exe and there is not such complications and
prerequisites.

Best,
Kon