[MMTK] MMTK on Mac OS X 10.2.2

adam hixson chixson@ou.edu
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 12:09:17 -0600

I just checked the archives and noticed that there has been in the past
some interest in installing MMTK on a mac, but no details as to how to
get it to work.  I have gotten it to work, and I thought I might
provide some information to the list for anyone in the future who might
need it.

First off, all of the packages that MMTK depends on can be obtained
using fink (http://fink.sourceforge.net).

Second compiling MMTK fails because two header files cannot be found.
First, the netcdf.h file is installed in a strange place using fink,
and the MMTK install script cannot seem to find it.  I made a link from
the netcdf.h (which is located in /sw/include for me) to Include/MMTK
in the install directory.  MMTK also needs the malloc.h file.  Neither
apple nor fink provide this, but apparently its function is duplicated
elsewhere, as the command touch /usr/include/malloc.h solves the issue.
  (I didn't make that last bit up, this is advice given to all porters.)
  It seems to compile and run fine once these slight things are
addressed.

Neither of the tips provided in the installation instructions for mac
os x seemed to be necessary for my install.  Of course, mileage may
vary.

If anyone has any interest, I have made a fink .info file that can be
used to install MMTK, and I have taken the liberty of providing the
fink maintainers with it as well so other fink users can easily install
MMTK.

Thanks, Konrad, for a nice tool.  I use it quite a lot and hope to
publish something using it soon.