[MMTK] MMTK missing module?

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@cnrs-orleans.fr
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:43:30 +0100

> I installed the newest MMTK using the RPM based package on a Mandrake 7.2
> OS. Most of the sample dynamics does not work for the lack of two references
> (MMTK_dynamic and MMTK_forcefield). Does anyone ever came across this
> problem, and more importantly know how to fix it?

The RPMs are for RedHat, not Mandrake. I don't know much about Mandrake,
but judging from your description I nevertheless believe to know
the answer.

The MMTK extension modules are installed in a directory whose name is
the value of sys.platform, this allows multi-platform installations in
a single directory. Under Linux, sys.platform is usually "linux2".
However, RedHat changed this to "linux-i386" for the Intel versions,
in order to distinguish between Linux for different CPUs. Apparently
Mandrake doesn't do this, or in a different way

So what you should do is:

1) Start "python" and type
     import sys
     print sys.platform

2) In the shell, type
     cd /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/MMTK
     ln -s linux-i386 xxx
   where xxx is the value of sys.platform.

3) Let me know if this works!