[MMTK] Hello, problem about compilation

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@cnrs-orleans.fr
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 10:46:14 +0100

>    To install MMTK, I should install ScientificPython and netcdf. I have
> install netcdf successfully in /usr/people/user/temp directory, but when
> I compile ScientificPython, I met a error :
> ld: FATAL 9: I/O error (-lnetcdf): No such file or directory
> I know it is due to the wrong path of netcdf, I am an new man also in
> UNIX, so I do not know which directory I should copy netcdf to, so would
> you please tell me what I should do. Thank you for your help.

The linker must be able to find the netCDF library. There are two solutions:

1) Copy the file libnetcdf.a or libnetcdf.so (whichever you have) to
   a directory that is searched by default, e.g. /usr/local/lib
   or /usr/lib. Then copy the file netcdf.h to a directory searched
   by the compiler, e.g. /usr/local/include or /usr/include.

2) Edit the file Src/Setup of the ScientificPython distribution
   and change the directories /usr/local/include and
   /usr/local/lib to point to the places where you have the netCDF
   include file (netcdf.h) and the netCDF library (libnetcdf.a).

The second solution is safer because it does not require you to change
any global system files or directories.