[MMTK] Simple question

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@cnrs-orleans.fr
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 21:06:13 +0200

>  libnetcdf.so: cannot open shared object file:No such file or
> directory

OK, there's the problem. From your list it seems that you do not
have a libnetcdf.so anywhere.

> all the rpm's were verified....BTW I didn't have to compile anything, but
> everything seems to be in the right places....umm maybe it's something to
> do with the fact that I have .a files of things that apparaently should be
> .so?

Kind of. The netCDF library can be compiled into a static (.a) or a
dynamically loaded (.so) library. My RPM for Linux supposes a dynamic
version, but not all the netCDF RPMs that have been distributed by
various people contain a dynamic version. In the future I will only
use static versions of netCDF to avoid all such trouble. That's a good
lesson for those who hoped that RPM would eliminate all installation
headaches!

For now, the best solution is to remove the python-netcdf RPM and
instead install the Python netCDF from the source code distribution.