[MMTK] missing libnetcdf.so & other desasters

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@cnrs-orleans.fr
Wed, 19 May 1999 12:03:50 +0200

> I'm having some trouble in installing MMTK (current version, not the
> beta). netcdf-3.4 seems to build and test allright, however all I get
> in lib/ is:
>
> -rw-r--r--   1 root     root       617492 Apr 24 19:26 libnetcdf.a
> -rw-r--r--   1 root     root       179542 Apr 24 19:26 libnetcdf_c++.a
>
> and rpm -Uhv python-netcdf-1.03-1.i386.rpm complains:
> failed dependencies:
>         libnetcdf.so is needed by python-netcdf-1.03-1

The package python-netcdf assumes that netCDF has been built as a
shared library. That seems to be less common than I thought, so I'll
use the standard archive library in the future. I used a netCDF RPM
from the RedHat contributed archive which contained the shared library
version; unfortunately this RPM was replaced by an update without
the shared version, and I didn't keep a copy of the old one!

For the moment, the easiest solution is to build python-netcdf from
the source; that doesn't require a shared library.

> Also, when I unpack
> -rw-r--r--   1 eugene.l users      452977 May 18 17:56 mmtk1.2b1.tar.gz
> and python compile.py it, the build aborts with (full transcript
> follows):
>
> Copy Misc/Makefile.pre.in from the Python distribution
> to this directory and try again.

There's the problem!

> There is no Makefile.pre.in in the source tree, nor is there a Misc
> directory. The only Makefile.pre.in is to be found in

Where does your Python come from? If it is Python 1.4, you have to get
Makefile.pre.in from the source distribution. Starting from Python
1.5, this file is installed in the config subdirectory of the standard
library (/usr/lib/python1.5/config/Makefile.pre.in).

> /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/mmtk/ , and copying it doesn't change
> anything.

You seem to have Python 1.5, but no Makefile.pre.in. Which means you
didn't install Python from the source distribution, but probably from
an RPM. If it's RedHat's RPM, then I don't know what to do about it.
If you use Oliver Andrich's RPM distribution for Linux (which I
recommend for various reasons), then all you have to do is to install
python-devel as well (it also contains other files necessary for
building MMTK).

All this makes me wonder if RPMs are really such a great idea!