[MMTK] MMTKError class hierarchy

Lutz.Ehrlich@EMBL-Heidelberg.de Lutz.Ehrlich@EMBL-Heidelberg.de
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 15:03:17 +0200 (MDT)

Dear all,

has anybody implemented a MMTKError class hierarchy?

My motivation: In my own work, I'd find it really useful to be able to
discriminate trivial errors (like files missing, IndexErrors and the like)
from errors that have physical meaning, e.g. trying to set a peptide chains
conformation by using a PDB file which doesn't match could produce
something like a MismatchSequenceError. Often, I find myself
with tracebacks that are not very easy to decipher.

Would it be useful to introduce a generic MMTKError class and derive from
that so that we could find more meaningful identifiers which make debugging
(and error reporting) easier?

This could be done iteratively and MMTK2.0 would be such a nice opportunity
to improve on the old system...

Any comments?

Cheers,
   Lutz

Lutz Ehrlich		 web  : http://www.embl-heidelberg.de/~ehrlich
			 email:	lutz.ehrlich@embl-heidelberg.de

European Molecular Biology Laboratory		phone: +49-6221-387-140
Meyerhofstr. 1					fax  : +49-6221-387-517
D-69012 Heidelberg, Germany