[MMTK] PDB and pdb

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@cnrs-orleans.fr
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 11:12:13 +0100

> I just downloaded mmtk and had a problem with importing PDB.py
> versus pdb.py (the python debugger) so that nothing in mmtk will run
> without my renaming all the PDB or pdb imports and the original
> files. It seems like this should have come up before because the
> debugger is a standard python module. Is there an easy way to fix
> this problem that I am overlooking?

I suppose you use Windows, right? Under Unix there is no conflict;
pdb and PDB are different modules. That's why this hasn't bothered
too many people. I have even debugged PDB using pdb!

The upcoming new releases of MMTK and the scientific module collection
won't have this problem because they are packages. The PDB module
is then called Scientific.IO.PDB.

In the meantime, the only workaround is to change your PYTHONPATH (or
whatever this is called under Windows) to make either PDB or pdb come
earlier in the directory list, depending on which one you want. There
is no way to use both of them together without some renaming.