problems with mmtk

Glenn Johnson gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov
Fri, 10 Jul 1998 15:31:13 -0500

> :Python 1.5.1 (#2, Jul  9 1998, 13:54:11)  [GCC 2.7.2.1] on freebsd3
> :Copyright 1991-1995 Stichting Mathematisch Centrum, Amsterdam
> :>>> from mmtk import *
> :Traceback (innermost last):
> :  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> :  File "/usr/local/lib/python1.5/mmtk1.1b1/mmtk.py", line 38, in ?
> :    from Minimization import ConjugateGradientMinimizer,
> :SteepestDescentMinimizer
> :  File "/usr/local/lib/python1.5/mmtk1.1b1/Minimization.py", line 8, in ?
> :    from _minimization import conjugateGradient, steepestDescent
> :ImportError: No module named _minimization
> :>>>
> :
> :
> :Does any one have any idea what might be wrong. I have the following
> :environment variables set in my '.cshrc':
> Sounds like you don't have the c modules properly set up.  The files
> Setup.in and Setup (or maybe just Setup, I forget) should already be there
> from the distribution.  Copy Misc/Makefile.pre.in from the python distribution
> into the mmtk directory, and follow the directions in it
> (make -f Makefile.pre.in boot; make).
>
> If I remember correctly, I had to do a little editing to get some
> of the paths right, but something close to this should work.
>
> Hope this helps and good luck,

Yes, this helped. I realized what I did wrong after getting the clue from you. I had unpacked the mmtk tar file in my home directory, then decided to place it with my python stuff, so unpacked it again there. When I did the 'make', I did it in the mmtk directory that was in my home hierarchy rather than the python hierarchy. My MMTKPATH was then pointing to a place where the c-modules were not installed. Oh well, all is well now. Thanks.
--
Glenn Johnson
Technician