[elspy] Compiling elspy on Debian unstable

Greg Ward gward at python.net
Fri Jan 23 03:33:42 CET 2004

On 15 January 2004, A.M. Kuchling said:
> I'm trying to compile elspy and Exim 4.30 on a machine running Debian
> unstable.  The compilation completes without a hitch, but the resulting Exim
> binary dumps core when receiving a message.  Even more puzzling, when I run
> it under GDB to find the exact location of the segfault, it doesn't dump
> core, but delivers the message without problems.

Hmmm.  Are you using the latest CVS elspy?  There was an eye-poppingly
stupid bug in elspy 0.1.1 (uninitialized variable) that went unnoticed
for a long time, but then jumped out at me with a coredump when I built
on a new system.  I posted a patch here, but didn't release a new
version because, well, no one seems to be using elspy apart from you,
me, and Neil.  (Sigh.)

(FWIW, the elspy CVS is pretty stable: I haven't touched the code in
months, and both starship.python.net and mail.python.org are running a
CVS version.)

        Greg
--
Greg Ward <gward at python.net>                         http://www.gerg.ca/
I just read that almost half of the population has below median IQ!