FirstClass to Mail and RSS
The Ringo MUG in Tokyo is
exploring alternatives to the increasingly expensive
system. I wrote a simple script that scrapes
new messages off the
FirstClass web interface and converts them to Email. I mail the messages
to a set of Mailman mailing lists
for distribution to members. Recent versions of the script can
also build RSS feeds of the individual conferences and the overall
Last modified: 2005.02.12
- RSS 2.0 format feed
- keep more old messages around in pickle, so a separate (CGI)
program has the option of making longer RSS feed
- pull the charset from the meta tag in the page header
- obscure Email addresses in RSS synopses
- additional HTML entity to plain text decoding
- handle mailto: links specially for plain text (don't show both
text and link if they are the same except for the 'mailto:'
- Hide quotes that start with up to three initials
and > when building RSS synopsis. Quote ' in
- Improve RSS synopsis quotation removal. Use
time zone offset instead of name in pubddates.
- Improve plain-text "bold" markup.
- Switch to FC Server 7.x HTML format. Build
RSS feeds for each list. Improve message header parsing.
- Make each Email message multi-part-alternative with
both HTML and plain-text parts. (Last public release for FC 6 servers.)
- Attach a list of live links to attachments on FC web interface.